Friday, June 27, 2008

Those Hazy, Lazy, Crazy Days of Summer

browse.phtml.jpg
courtesy of sxc.hu.com

It's just barely the official start of summer, yet here in Phoenix we have been in triple digits for quite a while.  Too many consecutive days hitting above 110 degrees.  It is physically impossible to enjoy the outdoors.  We are dangerously close to getting too stir crazy at my house.  I smell a mutiny looming in the too near future.  So today I thought it would be fun if we shared fun activities for kids during the summer.  I know I need as many as I get get, before there is an uprising in my house.  You can only play indoor basketball for so long.  Anyway, I'm sure many of you have great ideas.  So don't be shy and leave fun, cool activities that work for you and your kids in the comments.  Or leave ones that don't, maybe they will for someone else.

Happy Summer!

*Using colored tape, make a hopscotch court in your house.  This is lots of fun, even for my boys.

*Make a fort.  This is hours of fun.  Can lead to a big mess, but I'd rather have something to do than listen to, "I'm bored.  I'm bored.  I'm bored.  I'm bored."  

*Visit the library.  Find out when they have storytelling time and take the kids.

*Find a children's water park nearby.  Not only will your kids have fun while cooling down, you cool down a smidge just by being by the water.

*Go in on a zoo membership with a friend.  Then you pay a little more than one trip to the zoo once, and the rest of your visits are free.  Most zoos have children areas, which even include water features.  This is a great place to go to cool off and learn.
Ymonica
______________________________________________________
If you have a product review you would like posted or a topic you would like to have discussed please email me at momblogclub@gmail.com. I will be updating the blog every Monday, Wednesday and Fridays with new topics. Please email me so we can start talking about things that are important to you!!!

4 comments:

Paige said...

Monica, I have the opposite season problem. I live in Flagstaff so the winters here are really bad, and we get really stir crazy. But the summers are great. I think my family and I were in Phoenix every weekend in February. Anyway, at Harkins they have summer movies. I know it would be hard to bring your little one, but a friend and I switch off taking the older two while the other watches the younger 2 at home. Also I have a time set aside everyday where Drew and I do "Preschool" he really enjoys the one on one time and can keep him busy for a while. I will do bubbles indoors in the winter. A lot of times I will turn on children's music and they seem to enjoy that while they play. Or when worst comes to worst I just ignore them and they finally will just play with the countlesss toys they have. Hope that helps. If you ever want to get out of the heat and come to Flag you are welcome.

Melissa D said...

Some ideas to do OUT of the house...Go to your local city office and see what things they have available for kids to do this summer. I live in a small town, but I was really surprised/impresssed at what free things the city has to offer during the summer for the kids! Somethings that are offered are story time, singng group, mom and baby swim time, they had a bike parade one morning, toddler cooking classes, movie day...to name a few. (some things aren't free--like the swim class) Also, if you live in the great state of Utah the grocery store Macey's offers food classes for kids like once a week I think! Anyways... I know that some cities probably do not have all this, but I bet your city has more than you know about!

Melissa D said...

PS: I am glad to hear that you are also going bald with me! Maybe that should be a topic of discussion...just to make me/us feel better about this whole mess! HA HA ! Poor us!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

I worked in day cares for many years and even helped plan a summer program. Some things we did were the usual: libray, water parks, picnics, zoo. Other things were cooking. I did this with as little as 3 1/2 years olds. You can teach them the importance of washing their hands, and all of them love to stir or dump ingredients (just have the ingredients prepared for them).
We also had a craft day once a week. Need craft ideas, let me know.
If you don't have a local water park, I would invest in a slip in slide, sprinkler, or little baby tub and have a water day at least once a week.