Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What kind of day are you having?

I guess I should also start by introducing myself. My name is Casey and I live in Western Washington with my husband of almost six years and my two boys (ages 3 and 4 months). I used to be a middle school science teacher, but gave it up to stay home with my boys and I've never regretted it. Though some days being trapped in a basement room of a 100 year old building with thirty 12 year olds does sound like a vacation. Obviously, there are good days and bad days as a mommy. I thought I would share some of mine.

Good Day: Wearing the same clothes all day without getting any spit, pee or poop on them.
Bad Day: Running of clean clothes for myself due to the above mentioned fluids (yup 4 month old baby poop counts as a fluid).

Good Day: The kids cry occasionally.
Bad Day: We all cry . . . at the same time!

Good Day: I get the laundry done and dinner cooked.
Bad Day: We run out of burp rags half way through the day (we go through 30 in 2 days) and I forget there is such a thing as dinner until 4:30.

Good Day: The 4 month old wears the same outfit for longer than an hour without it being covered in spit-up.
Bad Day: The 4 month old destroys an outfit before I can even get it fully on him.

Good Day: The 3 yr old takes a nap.
Bad Day: The 3 yr old sits up in his bed and plays and sings with his night-night bear during nap. He then proceeds to melt down repeatedly until bedtime.

Good Day: I get 6 hours of continuous sleep in a night.
Bad Day: I only get 6 hours of sleep in a night, but it is in 1 to 2 hour chunks!

Though any bad day can turn good when my 3 yr. old turns to me and says “I want to snuggle you Mommy. I love you sooo much!” or my 4 month old smiles and giggles when he sees me coming.

What are some of your good days and bad days?
______________________________________________________
If you have a product review you would like posted or a topic you would like to have discussed please email me at momblogclub@gmail.com. I will be updating the blog every Monday, Wednesday and Fridays with new topics. Please email me so we can start talking about things that are important to you!!!

3 comments:

monica said...

Good day- A shower, followed by makeup and actual clothes. A clean house and dinner ready when Tim gets home from work.

Bad day- I still have my pajamas on (and bed head) and the kids and I are sitting in a pile of laundry, eating dry cereal when Tim gets home from work.

paulandcherisvreeken said...

This is a good question. When I read it I really had to think about what I would constitute a "good day". Because our lives revolve around trying to get Riann to take a bottle these days I would have to say a good day is when she really tries to suck on the bottle one or two times before getting frustrated. It's also when she's chooses to be patient enough to let us rest the nipple in her mouth and really tries to inspect it.

A bad day is when she screams her head off at every attempt and starts holding her breath and turning purple. It's also when she realizes we're not going to stop trying to give her the bottle so she puts herself to sleep because she's cried so hard and she knows it's the only way we'll leave her alone. Because of this when she naps she doesn't get good sleep because she's running on empty and we don't have very great nights because she has to make up for lost meals and we're up for hours, multiple times a night.

Overall like Casey said in her post any bad day can turn into a great one when I watch her accomplish something new or when the two of us are playing and she makes eye contact with me and I can just see that she knows who I am, by the smile on her face I know she's excited to be in that moment right then and there. It makes me happy because at that same moment it's the only place I want to be and if I could be there forever I would.

Melissa D said...

Cheris--does your baby take a binky?? My baby would not take her bottle either but she did take a binky. So i went to the store and found a bottle nipple that was the same shape as the binky nipple. And that did the trick! She started sucking the bottle because she thought it was the binky and she was hooked ever since then! Just a thought that may or may not work for you!