Friday, June 6, 2008

Question - Nap Time

My daughter is 15 months old and, up until recently, was taking two 1.5-2 hour naps a day. She would get up at 7:30 and take a nap from 10:00 to 11:30 or noon. She would also take a nap from about 2:30 until 4:00 or 4:30. Then she would go to bed at 8:00. We've started putting her to bed around 8:30 now because of the sun not going down until later, however she's only taking one nap.

Now, she gets up around 8:00 and takes a nap anywhere from 10 to 1:00 and it's usually for about an hour and a half but sometimes goes up to 2 or even 2.5 hours.

Is there anything I should know about nap times around this age? I'm 6 months pregnant and that second nap in the afternoon was really helpful for my own sanity. I just don't want to take her naps away too soon or too late.

Thanks!
Lacey Asher

______________________________________________________
If you have a product review you would like posted or a topic you would like to have discussed please email me at momblogclub@gmail.com. I will be updating the blog every Monday, Wednesday and Fridays with new topics. Please email me so we can start talking about things that are important to you!!!

3 comments:

Casey said...

I think you are at the time kids normally give up their second nap. My first went down to one nap by force at about 10 months because I started to babysit an older toddler and they wouldn't sleep if the other was awake, so I put them down together. It was awsome!! I loved having my mornings free for errands and he ended up taking a longer nap that way (3-4 hours). With my second (4 months) I'm just wishing he would nap! I guess what I'm saying is that if she is happy without the second nap, go with it. I definately think it is harder on us than them when they give up any napping time!

monica said...

I agree, I think she's at the age when most kids stop napping twice a day. Some kids stop napping altogether. (Bummer! Luckily I haven't had one of those yet.) The thing that I have found is that most kids don't have the same napping routine, so it tends to be hard to compare notes. You might even find that your second baby sleeps more or sleeps less. Hopefully the latter is the case. It's kind of something that you have to learn as you go along.

Maybe what you can do is set aside "quiet time." This can be a time during the day that she does quite activities, so that you can get things done or have some quiet time yourself. My sister-in-law started doing this with her oldest when she was just a bit older than your daughter. She would go to her room and play, look through books, watch videos, and sometimes fall asleep. And it's worked for her.

Hope this helps you!

Zak and Allysia said...

This is the time kids normally go down to one nap. My daughter went down to one nap a bit sooner. What we did was pushed that nap back slowly, one half-hour at a time, until it reached noon. Now at noon she will sleep anywhere from 2 to 3 hours depending on how tired she is. Sometimes she will wake up after only 1.5 hours but will play happily in her bed until I go get her at 2. I have found that she has become more dependent on a strict 8 p.m. bedtime with only one nap but she sleeps until about 8:30 a.m. Good luck, it is a challenge to determine the best napping schedule that keeps toddler and mommy happy but I'm sure you will find what works best for you and your little one!