Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thoughts on reading

The last few weeks I've been thinking a lot about starting a "library" for my daughter who is only 4 months old. I've been slowly getting books from my mother who gets them from a program through the school that she teaches at and each time I get a new one we sit together and read it. I know that she can't yet comprehend what I'm saying or possibly even make you the pictures but it's fun to just sit together and hope that she's getting something out of it.

I'm wondering what other mom's think about reading to children, like when you started and what you looked for in a book. The books we have now are simple but they are probably more fit for a child that is a little older because it's all paper. I really want to get a few board books but I don't know exactly what to start looking for.

What do you guys think about reading to a baby? Is it too soon to start? Should I start in a specific place? Do any of your know of any good publishers for books in our age groups?

Thank you!!!

Cheris Vreeken


______________________________________________________

If you have a product review you would like posted or a topic you would like to have discussed please email me at momblogclub@gmail.com. I will be updating the blog every week with new topics. Please email me so we can start talking about things that are important to you!!!

3 comments:

monica said...

I believe that it is never too early to start reading to your baby. We started when both of our boys were very young, and they LOVE books now. I think the love of reading is a dying art. So it's great that you want to instill it in your children. I think it is so good to teach them that reading is fun and enjoyable before it's something they "have" to do.

Anyway, we read a lot of board books by Sandra Boynton. They are really cute and simple. My boys always get giggles out of the stories. Also, you can pretty much get any Eric Carle book in board form. Those are great and the boys love the pictures and colors. Matthew learned different animals, their sounds and colors from Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

I love books and probably own too many, especially children's books. I can't ever seem to pass a pretty picture book up.

Casey said...

I agree! It is never to young to start reading with your kids. My favorite board books are Boynton and Carle as well. We tended to check lots of different ones out at the library to try them out and then buy the ones we likes. I wish I could buy so many more, but I try to restrain myself!

Melissa D said...

I started reading to my three month old when she was a week or two old! She has no idea what is going on right now, but I think it is a good language developer for babies. She has just started to get interested in looking at the pictures too and so that is making it fun. I have read in several books that even if you read your adult books or the newspaper out loud to your baby that is a great thing just for them to hear the words! I find myself reading the ensign or scriptures out loud to her all the time just so she has something to listen too!