Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What to Wear

As I mentioned in response to a previous post, I've really gotten into wearing my new baby. I loved carrying my older son in a sling or Bjorn when he was a baby, but didn't do it very often because it quickly got uncomfortable. My second son, born in February, has been much more of a challenge. He was very colicky, has acid reflux, and loves to cuddle (which is not a challenge, but does take lots of time!). I found that the only thing that made him happy was being carried or worn. He, like his brother was, is a heavy baby (5 months, 19 lbs.) so the Bjorn and sling I had were not going to work. I also battle carpel tunnel in my wrists while I'm nursing, so just carrying him is very painful. I headed off to the Internet to see what else was out there and oh my goodness, there are a lot of options. I decided to get an ergo baby carrier, and a solarveil sling. I also had my mom make me a sling using some directions I found online. So for I'm very happy with all the carriers I have. The ergo is great for long walks and chores around the house. It can also be worn on my back if I'm willing to let the baby spit up all over my back. I love my solarveil sling for hot days. It keeps both of us cool and protects the baby from the sun. Now that the fabric in my homemade sling is starting to soften I really like it. It is a pretty color and works great at church.

I guess I'm sharing all this because I've found what started as a challenge with my son, has led me to some very enjoyable moments with him. I love that he so close I can kiss his little head all the time. I love that I can quickly get him to sleep if nothing else is working. I love how easy the 3 hour block at church has become when the baby can sleep in the sling and I don't have to wake him up to go to the next class. Mostly I love that I can still get out and do the things my toddler wants to do, even if his brother needs to be held.

If you would like more information on different ways to wear your baby, check out The Baby Wearer website. While I'm pretty new to babywearing, I can try to answer any questions you have as well.

Also I recently came across a contest to win a "stash" of 5 baby carriers. Maybe you'll win, but I'm secretly hoping I will. I'd love to try something new, like a pouch, mei tai or wrap!
Win the Essential Babywearing Stash from Along for the Ride (one Beco Butterfly, one Hotsling baby pouch, one BabyHawk Mei Tai, one Zolowear Ring Sling, and one Gypsy Mama Wrap)
______________________________________________________
If you have a product review you would like posted or a topic you would like to have discussed please email me at momblogclub@gmail.com. I will be updating the blog every week with new topics. Please email me so we can start talking about things that are important to you!!!

No comments: