Monday, May 19, 2008

Product Review - LilyPadz



Recently I tried this product called LilyPadz. It's a nursing pad that is non-absorbent and sticks to your skin stopping leaks with pressure. I would have to say I'm disappointed in the product and don't think I will be using them again. I got them on recommendation from a friend who loved them and so it may just be that they aren't for me but I was not impressed by them. I got these because I was told that I could save money by purchasing them as opposed to the absorbent pads I had previously been using because they were reusable. They worked fine through out the day as long as I washed them after every feeding which wasn't convenient while I was out and about. They also took about 10-20 minutes to dry and that left me with no back up during that time. When I applied them they basically inverted my nipple creating what I can only describe as a "moat". When I would start to produce milk after having a letdown sensation, my milk would pool into "the moat" and it would create an even bigger challenge because when it came time for my daughters next feeding I would have to balance my wiggling baby on my lap while trying to stay covered AND not splash the collected milk all over her and myself. It was often frustrating and not worth the struggle.

When it comes to saving money I was told, by the store representative, that the product would last up to 3 months and was guaranteed to do so. I purchased the LilyPadz for about $20 and I figured this probably would save me a decent amount in the long run because I go through a box of 60 regular nursing pad about every 1.5 to 2 months. Those boxes cost me about $5-7 depending on the style and brand and at that rate if I could get an extra month out of these new pads I thought I could be getting a pretty good deal, even if they weren't fantastic. When I got home and read through the instructions on how to use the product I found that they are only guaranteed for 2 months worth of use. This meant I just spent an extra $10 on something that was only going to work for the same amount of time as the much cheaper product I was originally using. That on top of the quality problems really disappointed me.

If I must find one good thing about the product I would have to say they were great for nights when I didn't want to sleep with a bra on. It was great to have a short break but the long hours at night made me leak onto our comforter and sheets and I soon found that I was spending more money on the product and I was increasing my costs even more by having to spend extra money taking my comforter to the laundry mat.

My overall feelings on this product is that if you have something you like don't change. It's not worth the struggle to try to make them work and the maintenance on them is too time consuming especially when we don't have that much in our days already. They aren't a pricey item like some other things out there but they are just expensive enough that the extra $10 every 2 months can be wisely spent on other more usable things.

If you've used this product please tell me what you think. If you think there is something else that better out there please share. I can't wait to hear what you all think.

Cheris Vreeken
______________________________________________________
If you have a product review you would like posted or a topic you would like to have discussed please email me at momblogclub@gmail.com. I will be updating the blog every Monday with new topics. Please email me so we can start talking about things that are also important to you!!!

8 comments:

Lacey said...

Good to know! I only ever used the disposable pads and they worked great for me. I figured I could handle that for a while seeing as how they were cheaper and I would have to sleep with a bra on.

Lindsey M said...

I worked at a store that sold them. I had some customers that came in and swore by them. I was tempted to buy them myself but after reading what they did to you I am glad I didn't. I leaked a ton the first 4 months so I wanted to save money. I tried the cheaper brand of disposable pads and I wouldn't go that route either (not if you leak as much as I did.) I found that the best brand of nursing pads are the Lansinoh brand. They saved my life, and my shirts. But the good news...eventually you wont need the nursing pads. Some women don't need them past 2 months, my mom never needed them, it all depends on the individual.

Mommy Blogs said...

Yeah. I still need them especially when I'm feeding... the other side goes crazy!!! It's pretty sad. I've found that the Johnson & Johnson brand works pretty well too. I'm using Curity right now because they're a little cheaper and they work fine but they're individually wrapped and I don't like the fact that it is just more garbage to throw away. Especially because their plastic. The the J&J brand I've notice that the absorbent material turns into a gel when it gets wet and if it would over fill it would get on my breast and I was afraid to let my baby eat because I wasn't sure if I got it all off. I think next time I'll try the Lansinoh brand because they really seem to have a good grasp on nursing stuff. I'm starting to leak less too so it might be a good time to start buying a better product that cost a little more because I'm not going to be going through it so fast.

Paige said...

I used Lily Padz with my first and absolutely loved them! I never waited for them to dry I just dried them with a towel. Although with my second I started to use them and stopped because they were time consuming. I didnt have time to wash and dry them everytime and I also had to wash my breast because if milk was trapped in there it would smell sour.

Casey said...

I use Lansinoh exclusively. I leaked the entire 11 months I nursed my first and never leaked out onto my clothes. I think I'm pretty much done leaking now after 4 months with this baby, but there is the occasional day he skips a feeding and I'm super paranoid, so I still wear them! I guess someday I'll be brave enough to give them up, but not yet.

Zak and Allysia said...

I would highly recommend using 100% cotton washable/reusable nursing pads. They probably cost something similar to the lilypadz but while using them with my daughter, I never leaked through and never had any problems. Be sure to wash them in hot water to kill bacteria. Sometimes when I would leak into the pad as the milk dried my nipple would stick to the pad but using just a tad bit of Lansinoh fixed that problem. I still have the ones I used with my daughter and plan to reuse them with any future children.

Mommy Blogs said...

Benson Family

Thank you for your reply. Those sound like something I'd really be interested in, where would I find something like that?

- Cheris

lily padz said...

I recently read that putting your lily padz in the freezer makes them soothing to the skin.