Saturday, May 3, 2008

Welcome to the club!!!

Hey guys!!!

So I'm starting this blog because I think it would be fun to have a place where we can all get together and just enjoy the words of each other. I was thinking about doing a facebook group but that limits the access many mothers who don't have facebook accounts have to the group. Because I don't know how to set up a forum just yet, my husband Paul is in the process of learning and I don't want to wait much longer, I felt that a blogspot would be the next easiest option.

I think every mother has something great to share and I'd also like to build a network of great moms to lean on. When I was anticipating the birth of my daughter just 2 months ago I was constantly asking questions and found that the advice that experienced mothers had was invaluable. Now that I've got her here I'm still finding that their experience is getting me through the little worries each and every day. I'm hoping that many of you are finding
the same help from family and friends and would like to join in sharing the advice you have found helpful.

I want this blog to be open to anyone and everyone who wants to contribute. I'm thinking that the easiest way to do this is and keep this site secure is to have you all send me your thoughts and interests by email and I will update the blog regularly. To do that I would love it if you would be willing to email me your thoughts and ideas, things like brag reels and great product info. Also, I love reading blogs that many of the mothers I know already write on for their own families and if you don't mind as I read them and notice things you post about products and advice you give openly I would like to post some of that on the blog so that we can all learn from each other.

I'm going to start sending out the information to my friends who are already mom's, are soon-to-be mothers, or are ladies who want to become a mother but are just waiting for the right time. From there I ask that you pass on the site address as well as the email address to anyone who you think would like to have it. You all know someone who you've learned from and who has helped you get through a rough time because they experienced it too. We are all in a similar spot or have been in the same place at one point or another and I think we all have valuable information to share during some of our most difficult and joyous moments as women.

By doing a blog I can keep the site open for anyone who would like to view it. The benefit behind this is not everyone has to have an account of their own to participate. If you don't have a blogspot but you would also like to contribute ideas and stories you still can. All you have to do is email me what you would like posted and I will put it up. I am more than willing to do anonymous posts if you don't want to leave your name or would like it to stay off of the blog but I wont pass on anything that is distasteful or vulgar. If it's something you disagree on I don't mind forwarding the information because I believe opposition not only helps us grow but it also expands our level of thinking. With that in mind I do feel that there are right ways and wrong ways to express opposite opinions and I will not pass on any thought that doesn't benefit the whole. That being said I will not edit anything that comes my way. Your words are your words and you chose a particular way to put them together. Any contributions that come to my email for the site will be quoted with a name or with the signature - anonymous. There is a lot we will agree on and a lot we wont but because of that I am excited to learn more about myself by better understanding the world around me through your eyes. Parenting is a difficult task and there is no proper way to approach it, that's why I'm hoping we can develop a network that allows us to tackle the challenges that we all face individually and daily.

What I'm also hoping for is to gain better product knowledge from experienced mothers as well... Like a great particular brand of nursing bras or a amazing pair of potty training pants. If you enjoy a particular product that you think we should all know about please let us know to check it out... and send pictures too!!! I don't want to make this solely a marketing site but if you swear by a certain product please let us know so we can try. Also if you have something that you have created or you know a cheaper way to get by and you want to share it, by all means please do. There is sooooo much out there and I personally find it all a little overwhelming sometimes.

We all have a lot to learn from those around us and we all know that we love to brag about our kids so let get going!!! Pictures, questions, and advice are all welcome here!!! Mothers are amazing and we have the most incredible job in the world!!! Let's celebrate the gifts we've been given and help others who are anticipating the journey there.

To start off the blogs I'm stealing a question a friend of mine asked on her blog as she prepares to have her first little baby. She asked...

"I wanted to get some different ideas/opinions from soon-to-be mothers or mothers now of what you did while pregnant or what you wish you would have done while pregnant? Just kind of curious of what others did or are doing?"


Start commenting now. I know we all have a lot of great advice to share!!!!

Thanks guys, let me know if you have any questions!!!

Cheris Vreeken

5 comments:

Lacey said...

I'm the mommy of one--soon to be two-- and something that I've found really helpful while I'm pregnant is going and pampering myself before the baby comes. I know from personal experience that dying your hair is not going to harm your child at any point as long as you're in a well-ventilated area. Get your hair cut, your nails done.... get a pedicure for those feet you have begun to see only occasionally and that way you know when you have this baby that you still look good because you took care of yourself as your number one priority. With the second one, it's even more important. :D

Camille and Luke said...

Oh Cheris! I love it! I totally fall under "ladies who want to become a mother but are just waiting for the right time"!!! Thanks for putting it that way to not exclude us!!!! I can't wait to use this as a source!!! What a great idea!!

Sarah said...

When I was pregnant with my first, I wrote letters to her. I wish I had done the same for my second. It was just thoughts I was having about her and how we chose her name, etc. But it's a really special thing to me now. Some day I'll get them out and read them to her.

Mommy Blogs said...

I just wanted to comment on the previous of what you took from your friend!! I totally agree with the other comment made, give your self a little pampering once in a while!! although i only have one child myself right now, i completely agree.
I would also like to say stay active, or as much as you can during this pregnancy because i found that when i was pregnant, and towards the end i loved walking... i would actually go to the mall not to buy anything, but just to look and have fun but mostly just for the exercise, i also was glad come time to have my baby. I know we’ve all heard this many times but i truly believe it, it made the delivery easier (well for me at least).
The last thing i would like to say is more directed to mothers to be. Don’t be too scared, although it is new to you. I was scared out of my mind. When you get to that point it is really embarrassing. But just don’t worry about it too much. We all feel the same. Also another thing that helped me was reading the “what to expect when you’re expecting” book if you can. Borrow it from a friend or find someone who will let you use theirs if you can’t go buy it immediately. I admit i didn’t read it completely from cover to cover, but what i had read was very beneficial. I hope that this doesn’t scare anyone from making that choice to go forward and have a child because after all, it is SOOOO worth it. ( even all the embarrassing stuff and humiliation that has to come with being a mother.) I love my daughter so much and love spending all my time with her. I love watching her each day grow and learn brand new things. Hope this will help someone.

- Ashley Benson

The Parkers said...

This is a good idea Cheris and I am excited to see what happens with it!